Tuesday, January 3, 2012

News from Dead Mule Swamp



Author:  Joan H. Young

News from Dead Mule Swamp is a just released book from Joan H. Young introducing Anastasia Raven as the central character.  The newly divorced Anastasia or Ana (rhymes with Ghana) has bought a fixer-upper home right next to the Dead Mule Swamp and not too far from Cherry Pit Junction. She seems to be enjoying her new-found freedom and taking out her frustrations against her ex by taking a sledge hammer to the walls and ceiling of the home which she has claimed as her own.
     Things are going just fine until she finds an old newspaper which soon disappears right before she discovers a local man dead in her swamp. The reader works alongside Ana as she learns her way around the community in which she has chosen to live as well as accompanying her while she figures out just what her old newspaper had to do with the recent death.
     At just over 37,500 words, News from Dead Mule Swamp qualifies as a very short novel but that is just the right amount to tell this story.  In this first of the Anastasia Raven mysteries we not only meet Ana, the "star" of the series but we are introduced to several of her neighbors, including the intelligent Cora who is a bit of a mystery, herself.
       Joan Young has been successful in fulfilling several of the things I look for in a book.  The story was entertaining, interesting and made me want to keep reading until I completed the story.  When I was finished, I wanted to read more about Anastasia Raven and her swamp.
     Good News!  I have just read that Ms Young is working on the first sequel, Paddy Plays in Dead Mule Swamp  to read more about it and about other works by Joan H. Young, you may click on this link, Joan Young's Blog.  The link below will take you to Amazon where you can buy the Kindle edition of News from Dead Mule Swamp for just 99 cents.  What a bargain!
     Once you have read it, yourself, write me a note in the comments to let me know how you liked it.
-----------------------------------



3 comments:

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Thanks so much Nellie! I'm tickled that the book lived up to your expectations. If you want to show the cover, just grab the image from joanofshark.com.

Joan

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Joan, I shared the link on my personal facebook page
nellie

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Awesome! Send me a friend request on FB, OK? I can't figure out which Nellie you are.

Joan